Chili Broccoli and cashew is a perfect balance of spicy, sweet, and savory. This palate pleaser is loaded with vitamin C and detoxifying phytochemicals making this an anti-inflammatory health promoting meal.
Chili broccoli and cashew is a healthy oil-free dish that is perfect for when you want a satisfying weeknight dinner. Incredibly, it takes less than 30 minutes to prepare. The gourmet broccoli flavor melds well with the fresh flavors of ginger, garlic and lemon juice. The chili paste adds a kick of spice that elevates this crunchy meal to another level.
For sauté, I used no salt vegetable broth (you can also use water) as a way to limit oil intake in my diet. Because high dietary salt intake is associated with an increased risk of high blood pressure, I also used liquid aminos instead of salt or soy to limit salt intake. Liquid aminos are a gluten-free low sodium alternative to soy sauce. They are made from water and amino acid derived from soybeans (no additives). I used it instead of soy sauce since they have a similar salty, umami flavor as soy but without the high sodium content. Read more on liquid aminos here.
Broccoli is an all-inclusive vegetable that you can literally eat every day, and not even come close to getting bored of it. When I do my weekly grocery shopping, I usually rotate which vegetables I buy just to mix things up and get different nutrients. Broccoli, however, is the one vegetable that never gets rotated. I buy broccoli every week, and you should too. So, why do I love broccoli so so much? Because broccoli is freshly sweet and very nutrient dense.
When picked and cooked correctly, broccoli is one of the joys of any cuisine. It is also so so so nutritious. Broccoli boasts as an excellent source of vitamin K, vitamin C, vitamin A, beta-carotene, folate, potassium, calcium, fiber, and phytochemicals. The most notable nutrient from broccoli is sulforaphane (SF), a naturally occurring compound with strong anti-cancer activity.
Want more? Check out Sauteéd Garlic Broccoli Rabe
Did you try this recipe? We love hearing from you! Rate it and leave a comment below. Remember to tag a photo #theveganri on Instagram. Thanks, Fam!
Chili Broccoli and Cashew
- 1 small onion thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup no salt vegetable broth
- 3-4 cloves garlic. minced
- 1 large head broccoli cut broccoli into florets, about 4 cups
- 1 inch fresh ginger 1 tablespoon grated
- 1/2-1 teaspoon garlic chili paste
- 1 cup dry roasted cashews
- 2-3 tablespoon liquid aminos
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon date sugar
- sesame seeds for topping
- Whole grain of choice brown rice, quinoa, bulgur, etc
- Set a steamer basket in a saucepan with 1-2 inches of simmering water. Add broccoli. Cover and steam just until tender, 4-6 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat 2 tablespoons of vegetable broth in a saucepan. Add onions and sauté until translucent, about 4-5 mins (you can also use water).
- When onion is translucent, add 2 tablespoons of vegetable broth, liquid aminos, garlic, ginger, chili paste, lemon juice, date sugar, and cashews. Stir well, and cook for 1-2 mins.
- Then add broccoli and mix well.
- Serves with brown rice ( or any whole grain), and top with sesame seeds