Broccoli is extremely appealing when combined with potent flavors like citrus juice, onions, pepper and spices as in this recipe. Grape, raisins, and dates add a layer of contrasting sweetness that is very pleasing to the palate. Likewise, walnuts and sunflower seeds inject a touch of nutty richness that ties all the flavors together.
This recipe is a healthy flavored vegan version of the oh so popular classic American broccoli salad. Creamy broccoli salad is a dish you can enjoy any time of the year. You may eat it by itself or serve as a side with whole grain and legumes. This dish is also a perfect easy meal to make for a summer picnic or a potluck party.
How to Purchase Broccoli
Choose dark-green or purple-green broccoli heads with firm tightly closed florets. Avoid broccoli heads with florets that starting to turn yellow or with tiny flowers. It is a sign that it’s past its prime and will taste bitter. Freshly picked broccoli at the best times should taste sweet.
What makes broccoli such an exceptional vegetable is that is loaded with sulforaphane, an antioxidant that has been shown to reduce the risk of certain types of cancer. Broccoli also contains an excellent amount of cholesterol-lowering fiber, anti-oxidant vitamin C, bone health vitamin K, and vision supporting vitamin A. For more, check out our article on broccoli nutrition.
Creamy Broccoli Salad with Walnuts
- 4 cups broccoli florets chopped
- 2 cups grapes halved
- 1 medium red onion chopped
- 1/2 cup walnut pieces
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/2 cup shredded carrots
- 1/2 cup raisins
- salt to taste
- 3/4 cup cashews soaked for 2 hours or overnight and drained
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 3 pitted dates chopped
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp powdered mustard seed
- To prepare dressing, blend cashews, water, vinegar, dates, lemon juice, black pepper, powdered mustard seed and turmeric in a blender. Blend until smooth and creamy
- Place broccoli florets, grapes, raisins, onions, walnuts, sunflower seeds, carrots in a large bowl. Add dressing and mix well to coat. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve chilled or at room temperature
- You may soak the cashews in hot water for 10 minutes
- Secret note: To elevate the flavor another notch and increase spiciness of this dish, sprinkle Trader Joe’s Smoked Ghost Chilies with Grinder. This pepper makes everything taste like heaven.
Nutrition Per Serving (Serving Size – 4): Calories 476 | Total Fat 24.9g | Saturated Fat 3.3g | Cholesterol 0mg | Sodium 50mg | Total Carbohydrate 58.2g | Dietary Fiber 8.8g | Protein 13.4g | Calcium 113mg | Iron 4mg | Potassium 1013mg
*The nutrition fact is an estimate calculated using a calorie counting application.